If you are new to sports betting, it will not be out of place for you to wonder why bookies ask for various documents, when all you just want to do is to place some wagers in hopes of getting a profit on your betting investment.
Betting sites are required by law to ask customers for proof of Identity, address and ownership of the payment methods used by customers. Additionally, it is also to ensure that your betting account, information and funds are kept safe, as well as to ascertain whether you are legally allowed to bet. In most cases, customers are asked to verify their accounts after registration and before the first withdrawal is made.
This article will explain everything you need to know about betting account or Know Your Customer (KYC) verification in great details.
Why is verification of a Betting account important?
Like we stated earlier, bookmakers are required by both local and international laws to carry out verification checks on their customers, in order to stop minors from betting, block self- excluded people from gambling, prevent customers from opening multiple betting accounts, to identify and deactivate bogus accounts and prevent money laundering.
What will you need to complete a verification check?
Governments all over the world issue identity documents to their citizens, and as such only government issued documents are acceptable to bookies, since they are widely considered to be legal documents. Usually, a customer looking to verify his or her betting account will have to provide either a scanned or photo copy of any of the following documents:
- International Passport (Photo and cover page)
- Driving license (Photo, name and signature must be captured)
- National ID card (Name and other details must be clear)
- Voter’s card (Name and address must be visible)
- Armed forces ID card (All details have to be clear)
- Provisional license (Front and back)
Proof of address
In addition to the above listed documents, some bookies will require to provide them with a proof of address. Usually, the bookie will ask you to send a photo or scanned copy of documents issued recently.
To provide information on your address, you can use any of the following:
- Local tax bill (Name, address and tax identification number must be visible)
- Household utility bill with your name on it
- Lawyer’s letter confirming a recent purchase a house or any other landed property
- Bank or Credit card statement with your name and address
It is important that you know that if you intend to use bank or Credit card, some betting sites will ask you to carry out a further verification process. We advise that you make certain that you hand sensitive information such as your Credit card pin to a trusted, reputable and properly licensed and regulated bookmaker.
For verification with any
- Credit/debit card: Photocopy or a scanned of both the front and back view of the card. Usually, only the first and last four numbers are needed. Consequently, we recommend that you blur or totally the other numbers and the three-digit security code (CVC/CV2) at the back of the card
- Bank account: Bank statement issued by your financial institution
We can suggest you the following bookies
How to verify your betting account?
The verification processes for most of the bookmakers are similar, except for minor differences peculiar to each bookie. Other than that, verification of a sports betting account is pretty much the same across board. To verify your account, just follow these simple steps:
- Login into your account
- Select ‘My Account’
- Tap on the ‘Verification’ button
- Upload the documents in the corresponding fields provided
Example of ‘how to verify your Bet365 account?’
Just like most of the other bookies, bet365 requires their users to complete a verification check before they can withdraw funds from their betting accounts. There are many ways to get this done, but we will highlight two methods
- Login into your bet365 account
- Click on ‘services’ in the right top of the homepage
- Select ‘Member’ from the drop-down menu
- Click on ‘My Account’ from the top menu
- Select ‘Know your customer’ option
- Choose passport verification option
- Enter your passport number
- Know your customer is completed
This method entails verification through live chat. Follow the process listed below
- Go to bet365 live chat ‘KYC’ agent
- Your four-digit security code will be requested, provide it
- Then, proceed to inform the agent you want to complete your KYC with your Passport
- Provide the agent with your passport number
- Your KYC is completed within minutes
Want to learn more about Bet365? Follow the link and read our detailed bet365 review
Example of ‘how to verify your 22bet account?’
The verification of a betting account on 22bet is easy and pretty direct. Follow the guidelines below to verify your 22bet account
- Login to your 22bet account
- Go to Account settings
- Click on ‘Start Verification’
- Upload the requested Documents in the field provided
- Verification process is then completed
Find out more about this betting site in our 22Bet review
How fast can a verification be completed?
While account verification does not take such a long time to complete, bookies have different processing times. However, if the documents are correct and visible, verification of a betting account should not take more than 24 hours.
Account Verification Tips
Below are few tips we would like to share with you. This information is critical to getting your verification done easily and on time, so you can start placing bets on your account and most important – to be able to withdraw your winnings!
- Get both sides of driving license or ID card
- You can use your phone camera to take an acceptable picture
- Ensure that the corners of the verification document are captured
- All verification document must be readable
- Be mindful of the size of the images. It should fit the requirement of the bookie
My betting sites has not asked for verification
This is nothing to worry about. If your bookie is licensed and regulated to operate in your country, you do not have to entertain any fear, as sometimes they may have verified you through your details and payment methods provided.
Go back to the overview of our betting school and learn even more about betting
Visit our home page to find out more about the best betting sites in Africa